The Government of Kenya (GoK) initiated a harmonized approach in the registration of persons in the country in the 2005. The aim was to address challenges such as duplication of efforts and reduce costs in registration processes.
The initiative was coordinated and managed by Integrated Population Registration System (IPRS) Program focusing on consolidation of data from primary population registration agencies, such as Civil Registration Department(CRD), the National Registration Bureau (NRB) and the Immigration Department.
The IPRS has been a key agency in the development and maintenance of a central master population register. In order to improve on the progress made by IPRS, the GoK initiated the National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS), code name HUDUMA NAMBA. The NIIMS was established through Executive Order No.1 (2018) and is legally grounded on the Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendments), Act, 2018).
The main objective of the NIIMS, is to develop a national integrated bio-metric population data base of information of persons’ identity of all citizens and foreign nationals residing in Kenya. The database will contain information of all Kenyans and foreign nationals residing in Kenya and will serve as a reference point for all bio-metric data for Ministries, Department, and Agencies (MDAs). other stake holders will also refer to the database while undertaking specific registration in line with their mandates.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES of HUDUMA NAMBA
- To undertake national bio-metric registration of all citizens and foreign nationals residing in Kenya.
- To Integrate and harmonize existing national registration data-bases in Kenya.
- To provide a reference frame for MDAs and other stake holders for registration of persons according to specific mandates.
- To provide a single source of truth (One-stop-shop) on persons’ identity data for citizen and foreign nationals residing in Kenya.
- To issue a unique identification number referred as Huduma Namba to all the registrants and a multi purpose card referred as Huduma card.
- To collate, store, integrate, harmonize, and facilitate sharing of population data from nearly all data base aforementioned.
The NIIMS / Huduma Namba registration will Kick off on 2nd April, 2019 and will run for 45 days.
BENEFITS OF HUDUMA NAMBA
Facilitate access to Government Services such as:
- Affordable health care through NHIF (Free Maternity services -Linda Mama, free HIV/AIDS drugs, free dialysis for kidney patients, free cover upon admission in GoK facilities).
- Subsidies such as fertilizers and seeds.
- Cash transfers to the elderly, orphans and vulnerable people.
- Access to Government Procurement Opportunities (AGPO) for women and youth.
- Free primary and secondary education.
- Education Bursaries.
- Affordable housing, among others.